Young People’s Mental Health 2020
A report by Mental Health America.
“Founded in 1909 by Clifford W. Beers, Mental Health America (MHA) is the nation’s leading community-based nonprofit dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness and promoting the overall mental health of all. MHA’s work is driven by its commitment to promote mental health as a critical part of overall wellness, including prevention services for all; early identification and intervention for those at risk; integrated care, services, and supports for those who need them; with recovery as the goal. During his stays in public and private institutions, Beers witnessed and was subjected to horrible abuse. From these experiences, Beers set into motion a reform movement that took shape and is known today as Mental Health America.
MHA dedicates this report to the youth and young adult leaders across the United States and around the
globe who are working to transform cultures, institutions, and resources to promote the mental health
and wellbeing of their peers and communities. Their leadership, creativity, and demand for justice and
equity will continue to shape and transform how we engage and support young people by improving their conditions, communities, and resources in the rapidly changing world.”
“To truly discover what works best, we must work directly with young people as partners and leaders, including those who have created programs, those who have received traditional services, and those first looking for support.”
NAMI joins MHM in the mission for mental health awareness, wellbeing, and recovery for all without the stigma and shame often associated with a mental health diagnosis. We thank Mental Health America for this report.
Table of contents:
- YOUNG PEOPLE’S MENTAL HEALTH IN 2020
- BUILDING ON WHAT HELPS
- HOPE AND ADVOCACY IN THE PRESENT AND FOR THE FUTURE
- PROGRAM SUMMARY APPENDIX
- Mental Health Kingdom: A virtual mental health community led by a certified youth and young adult peer support specialists via Discord, a digital platform designed to create communities.
- Mindful Minute by Mind Body Ambassadors: A student-led program that teaches mindfulness skills and builds mind-body practices into young people’s school days.
- UpLift by Youth Era: A 5-day virtual event and training dedicated to providing young people the tools to support themselves and their peers.
- DMV Students for Mental Health Reform: A coalition of young people dedicated to understanding, connecting, and advocating for the mental health needs of high school students.
Read full report here: Young People’s Mental Health Report 2020 with Program Appendix 12.8.20